Get the answers. Clarify. Make informed decision.
Grasping the Breadth of Maranatha Village’s Ministry
Frequently Asked Questions
Independent living affords active seniors the benefits of living at home without the worry of home maintenance, housekeeping chores, and cooking. Residents enjoy educational, cultural, spiritual, social, and fitness opportunities through the community’s programming.
With our full continuum of care, Maranatha Village can provide the right care for you as your needs change. As a Village resident, you’ll receive priority consideration for available services whenever you need them.
Most new residents at Maranatha Village are weary of all their previous maintenance responsibilities. Mowing grass, working the flower gardens, changing the furnace filters, coming up with money needed to replace appliances, and the list goes on and on.
Maranatha Village’s Indoor and outdoor maintenance is a very attractive feature. In the heat of summer or the cold of winter, residents know they no longer have to carry the burden alone. However, what is in the fine print?
What is covered?
- Mowing personal yards and common areas,
- Edging, blowing debris from sidewalks and flower beds,
- Putting down weed killer and fertilizer,
- Maintain shrubs and perennial flowers,
- Maintain water irrigation system,
- Trash removal,
- Winter snow and ice removal.
What is not covered?
- Residents are free to add more flowers at their expense and must personally care for them,
- Small garden plots are available to residents with a green thumb. Residents are encouraged to bring their own gardening tools and other essential tools. Water supply is provided.
- Residents are responsible for cleaning of their own home inside and out. Housekeeping is available through Maranatha for $20 per hour. Commercial services can be contracted by residents for window washing, carpet cleaning, etc.
- Any additional improvements requested by the resident will be considered. The Maintenance team will do the work, but the resident must pay for the materials involved. Maintenance charges $20 an hour for their labor. This allows one to put a personal touch in some cases.
- Replace faulty appliances, ceiling fans, furnace filters, light bulbs (MV does not encourage bringing a ladder),
- Service, and when necessary replace furnace, air-conditioning units, and hot water heaters.
- Service garage door opener and any other aspect of the facility that is not functioning properly.
The maintenance crew is amazing. Their attitude is, “We aim to please!” No task is too small, if it will make a resident comfortable.
To request a maintenance need, residents simply call the receptionist or submit a work request via the Maranatha Village website. Truly, you are in good hands!
REAPING THE BENEFITS
Of the Founders Plan
(Applies to a single or a couple)
Understanding how the Founders Plan and Founders Fee works makes it easy to see the benefits it provides as an alternative option to paying monthly rent.
- The Founders Fee is not an investment drawing interest or safeguarding capital gain for the future.
- It cannot be claimed as housing allowance. This provision is only for those paying monthly rent.
- It is a one-time, up-front payment in its entirety before moving into a house, duplex, or apartment.
- It is a purchase of tenancy and is like paying advanced rent for eight years. It also qualifies the resident for a percentage of the original payment to be returned (based on the original cost of building the living unit) should both spouses pass away or move to Assisted Living/Long-term Care or family making other arrangements. The following percentages apply to the amount returned.
one year—80%, two years—70%, three years—60%, four years—50%,
five years—40%, six years—30%, seven years—20%, eight years—10%.
After eight years, it is like living rent free and it is then that one’s contribution begins to be a profitable investment. Consequently, it is to one’s advantage to choose the Founders Plan and move to Maranatha Village in their late 60’s or early 70’s.
The final 10%, available at the close of eight years, is held indefinitely for the resident or their estate/heirs. This assures the family of financial assistance in covering end of life expenses, if needed, at the time both spouses are deceased.
- The Founders Fee does not include Assisted Living or Long-Term Care. These ministries are a separate expense. However, should a move to these advanced care programs occur the percentage available may be applied.
- If one wants to make money on their Founders Plan contribution, it is not a good investment. However, the dividends do come when one lives beyond the eight years and basically enjoys free rent.
- An added benefit is not having to pay property taxes or homeowners insurance. What a blessing to be free from these two major expenses at the end of each year.
- A stable Monthly Community Fee gives one a lower cost of living than a renter who may see slight increases in rent from time to time.
- For a couple, perhaps the greatest benefit is to the one who remains following the death of their spouse. There are no legal ramifications as it relates to the property. The spouse that remains continues in the same house, enjoys the same friendship base, same financial base, and experiences limited change. Being free from these concerns generates a happy, peaceful lifestyle.